Friday, October 28, 2011

A Few American Influences I've Seen in Namaacha


·         Clothing: On Wednesdays and Saturdays, Namaacha has what is called ShopRite in which vendors gather in this outside marketplace and sell various things.  Amongst people selling food, shoes, bags, and capulanas, are many clothing sellers.  I have no idea how the vendors come to aquire the clothing, but I assume most of it is second-hand items donated by Americans.  It is not unusual to see residents walking around in shirts featuring logos of American sports teams or American universities and English phrases which make one question whether the person wearing the shirt understands the words written on it. 

·         Music: Residents here love their music and love blasting their music at all hours of the day.  My family uses the TV as their speaker, but many families have gigantic speakers in their homes making it feel like one is constantly in a discotech (club).  American music is everywhere, everything from Mariah Carey to Akon to Snoop Dogg to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga to music from the 80s.  I was walking to my class the other day and a teenage guy thinking he was all cool was walking down the road blasting Celine Dion’s “A New Day”.  My Irma sings a lot and I love when she sings along to English songs not really saying any words in English, but making sounds that are similar to what the actual words are.  Every now and then, I try to translate a song for them or at least tell them what the song is generally about, but my language skills are still in the making, so I am somewhat limited still.

·         TV:  The other night Mr. Popper’s Penguins, the recent movie with Jim Carey which I think came out just this summer in the US, was on TV here in English with Portuguese subtitles.   Later, I watched CSI: Miami with my mae, also in English with subtitles.  Another volunteer mentioned that she has watched Disney Channel and even “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” with her family.  I wonder who decides which programs make it to the other side of the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment