Thursday, November 17, 2011

Drum Roll please........

First of all, shout out to my brother and sister-in-law! Congratulations Mike and Kali! Can't wait to meet my new niece, Lucy! And happy almost birthday to my nephew Mason!

So yesterday we finally learned where we will be living for the next two years!! They passed out envelopes to each of us and inside was the name of our site and which province it is in and then we all went and stood on a giant map of Mozambique drawn in chalk across a basketball court.  So drum roll please.................

I am headed up north to the province of Nampula to a city called Murrupula.  I know very very little about the site, but I'll share with you what I have discovered so far....

I am assigned to teach Biology and computers (apparently if you know how to use Word and Excel, then you are a computer expert) and I have a roommate, Erica, who is also a Moz 17er with me.  We are going to be re-opening the site in Murrupula.  Apparently, the school was not doing repairs that needed to be completed on the volunteer housing there, so Peace Corps stopped sending them volunteers until they did the repairs.  So, supposedly the repairs are done, and Peace Corps is making another appearance!  Though, I know nothing about what the housing is going to be like or what the school is like, or really anything else yet...

Murrupula is about an hour chapa ride from the big city of Nampula, so it is easily accessible and should be pretty easy for me to get whatever things I need.  It is also only a couple hours from Angoche (a beautiful beach) or about four hours from Ilha de Mocambique (another beautiful beach).  There are 12 other volunteers in my group who are also going to the Nampula province.

So that's pretty much all I know for now.  It is definitely going to be an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. Sara,

    We are so excited for you...love reading your blog...keep it coming

    ReplyDelete