Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The actual first week, well kind of....


The first day of school in the USA generally consists of chaos in the school parking lots, lines of cars with parents eager to drop their children off, students excited to show off their new clothes and teachers ready to meet their new students.  Here in Mozambique, it could not be any more different….

Though the school year technically started last week, Monday marked my first actual lesson.  I walked the two miles or so to school having no idea what to expect, no idea how many, if any, students would even show up. 

As I approached the school, I saw a couple groups of about ten students standing outside some of the classrooms, no professors in sight.  Walking closer, I recognized about three professors and stopped to chat with them, acknowledging the lack of students and professors present.  That just shook their heads saying, “Oh Murrupula…” 

When it was time for my lesson to begin, I entered the classroom feeling somewhat flustered and still not sure what to expect, but pretending not to show my nervousness.  As is routine for Mozambican classrooms, the students all stand when the professor enters the room and wait for you to greet them, responding robotically “Bom dia, Senhora Professora”, waiting to sit until you allow.  That was an interesting moment, and I thought to myself, wow I am the professor!  How crazy!

My class for the day consisted of 15 of the 50 students who were supposed to be there and the lesson was supposed to last two 45 minute periods.  At first the kids sat there, staring blankly at me, not answering my questions and probably thinking to themselves “Where did this white girl come from?!”  I introduced myself and went over some rules for my classroom, explaining that this was probably going to be different than their usual classes; we are going to have group projects, presentations, demonstrations.  Again, mostly blank stares. 

Slowly I got the kids to warm up to me, asking questions as I went over my rules of be on time, be prepared, participate, etc.  I mentioned how I wanted them to ask questions, to have discussions during the lessons with me and that I did not want to always be just talking at them, but want them involved.  By the looks on their faces, they were somewhat confused by this, but seemed intrigued at the same time.  I then asked them some diagnostic questions about HIV/AIDS, malaria, and personal questions like what they like to do in their free time, what they want to do after they finish school, and what their favorite subject is. 

This all took about the first 45 minute period to do, and then I thought to myself, okay now what?  I explained that I did have a lesson prepared, but didn’t want to teach it when not even half of the class was there, so they could either leave or we could chat.  To my surprise, not a single one of them wanted to leave! 

So I asked them what they wanted to talk about, if they had any questions for me.  At first nothing, but soon I got a discussion going and they asked if I was married, had a boyfriend, that I needed a Mozambican boyfriend and could they have my phone number (I quickly said no making them laugh), how old I was, what my favorite Mozambican foods were, etc.  I spoke a little in English to see how much they understood (they are in 11th grade so I at least expected something) and they taught me a few words in the local language Macua.  It was actually a lot of fun.

Though I was nervous about possibly having too much fun and having them think I was more their friend than their teacher, I think this first lesson will hopefully help them open up and participate during future lessons.  They asked if I was nice or mean, and I replied, “I am nice if you are good, if you are bad, I will get mad and we will have problems.”  I think that pretty much summed it up for them, and I made sure to distinguish fun time from lesson time, so we’ll see what happens.

The only bad part of the day was the walk home.  If you have been checking the weather here, you know there is a category 1 cyclone moving its way south.  Though I think we missed the worst of it, it was definitely extremely stormy walking home the two miles after school.  Wind mixed with rain makes an umbrella pretty useless and I was soaked by the time I got back, but worse things can happen I guess and I just laughed it off, explaining to one woman in the market that now at least I was clean!

Tuesday I gave my first computer class lesson.  Now, when I checked last week, computers (or TICs, as they call the course here) was still not listed on the schedule.  When I spoke with my director about this, we discussed the possibility of having the class during one of the free periods the turmas currently had in the schedules, but nothing was officially decided and they said they would work on it. 

Well surprise!  When I arrived at the school in the morning, still no TICs scheduled, but I just decided to give the lesson during their free period anyway, seeing as how my director was not around, and there was only one other professor present. 

This class had 35 students who were definitely excited to learn that they were going to have a course in computers.  Again, I went over rules, asked some questions, they asked me questions, and slowly we got a discussion going and they got more comfortable talking with me.  Not a single student raised their hand when I asked if they had ever used a computer, so I definitely have some work cut out for me!  At the end of class, I managed to get the computer room keys and let them enter.  Their enthusiasm and excitement was incredible!  They sat at the computers ready to learn right then and there.  It was exciting and kind of inspiring for me to see.  It will definitely be easier teaching students who are interested in the topic.

Upon inspection of the computers after class, I soon discovered that several don’t turn on for whatever reason (beyond this “computer expert’s” knowledge…), but we do have 13 functioning computers to work with. 

I still have a lot of work to do planning my trimester out for both subjects, thinking of ways to challenge my students and get them involved and thinking critically, and yup! doing it all in Portuguese!  Sometimes, while walking around I still have those moments where I think to myself, “Wow I am in Africa, alone!  And teaching!  How did this happen?!” But, though it is going to be a lot of hard work, I am excited for what lies ahead.  After almost a year of waiting for it, it’s all actually beginning.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Again, thoroughly impressed - with the palm-sized spiders and all! And I feel like I can picture everything from your blog posts. Keep them coming. : ) Will call soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. You will be able to put together a book when you finish the Peace Corps
    time. The lizard stories are so funny and real. The spider seems like a real monster, but harmless. Hope the teaching goes well. I like your plans to engage the students, and teach some critical thinking. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete