Saturday, February 11, 2012

"Proud" new owner


Tuesday, tired of the 45 minutes it takes to walk to school in the afternoons, I decided to finally by a bike (I was also motivated to finally make this purchase because the last day Peace Corps will reimburse you for a bike is this Friday.)

I decided to take advantage of the culture’s always-ready-and-eager-to-help attitude, and approached my neighbors across the street whom I had lately seen working on bicycles, figuring what did I have to lose and maybe they know more about bikes than I do.  Thankfully, they agreed to help and accompanied me to the market to buy my very own bicycle.  I only had two types really to choose from here in the Murrupula market, but opted for the one, though more expensive, that appeared more sturdy.  (Marysia, because you are probably wondering, it is green, has a rear view mirror, place to strap things behind the seat, and even a little bell.)

Also because you are probably wondering, the bike cost 3500mts, which roughly equals a little over $125, which might not sound like a lot, but it definitely hurt me handing over the money.  (Yes PC does pay for some, but not all of it.)  I talked myself through the decision of such a large purchase, rationalizing that it would significantly cut the time it took to go to school or at least would be much cooler having the wind blowing and I wouldn’t get quite as sun burned.  And I was even able to convince the vendor to sell it to me for the reduced price of 3300mts.

The two gentlemen who helped me make the purchase then tried to explain how the bike was not yet ready to use, which took lots of explaining and repeating and I never really quite understood what they were saying.  But, I ran in to another colleague who helped explain and told me the bike needed some readjustments first in order to be safe to ride long distances.  Sometimes, you just gotta go with the flow here and hope people know what they are doing.

So the guys got to work taking every piece of the bike apart and rescrewing this nut or readjusting that chain until it was apparently now ready to use.  My neighbor, who has been a huge help lately, observed their work too, so I trusted I was in good hands. 

Donning my super cute bike helmet (red) given and strictly required by Peace Corps rules, I set out for my first bike ride.  Many people here have bikes and never have I seen any using a helmet. (Many more people have motorcycles, and maybe half have a helmet, but typically they ride with another passenger without a helmet.)  So, I was prepared for the laughs I would receive as I passed by.  This type of attention has become something I expect and have grown accustomed too, so why not give them something to actually laugh about this time!

The first part of the ride was nice, flat then downhill, but I quickly arrived at the big hill I must ascend to reach the school.  It’s a pretty steady, not necessarily steep but not gradual either, incline for about the last third of the trek to school.  I don’t consider myself that out of shape, but I apparently I have no quad muscles and I was beat after that hill, barely making it to the top!  Give me at least a little credit though because the bike has no gears and the pedals are pretty hard to turn…

So though it did cut my 45 minute walk down to about a 15 minute ride, it was definitely a lot harder and had me rethinking my bike purchase.  But, a little exercise never hurt anyone, right? And someone once told me, pain is just weakness leaving the body! 

So I gave my biology lesson, somewhat out of breath and attractively sweat-covered.  This week, I introduced the students to the concept of group work.  My first bio turma Monday, though they first greeted me with blank stares at the concept, quickly embraced the group activities.  I had them first brainstorm ways in which bacteria are important in the lives of humans, and then later had them come up with ways to prevent the transmission of Cholera and Tb, trying to encourage a little independent critical thinking to mix up their usual simply copy notes manner of learning.  My Tuesday turma struggled a little more with the concept of working together and of course there is always one group with the goof-offs, but strict teacher Sara is not afraid to come out when necessary. 

It was just a short 45 minute lesson Tuesday and then time for the ride home, my legs still feeling kind of shaky.  Though uphill both ways, I did make it back and approached my new bike guys to find out a way to make it easier to turn the pedals. 

I joked with them about how I have no “forca” (strength) and they encouraged me that I would with time.  So, gonna keep tackling the stupid hill and weakness will be no more!

Wednesday, I tried a review game with my bio students to help prepare them for their test next week.  A simple game concept, I divided the class into four teams, that was an interesting feat that took way longer than necessary, then I just asked them questions and the first team to have someone stand up could respond and get a point.  They asked multiple times if winning would earn them an extra point on the test, something I had thought about doing but opted not to agree to this time, but they were still ridiculously competitive.  It was fun, though we will see how they do with my no cheating policy.  I made it very clear that I was not afraid to give out zeros, but I have a feeling I most likely will have to give a few…

Wednesday night was probably the most miserable night and the sickest I have been here.  It sucks because there are always so many things that could cause one to be sick, but, sparing you the disgusting details, I basically got no sleep, felt like I had been hit by a bus, and couldn’t really do anything to feel better but lie there and then rush to my bucket every hour or so.  It was miserable and something I wish on no one.  But it can always be worse!  Still recovering this weekend, but doing better J.

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing Sara - you really have great skill with words and descriptions. Delighted by your account of getting them to work in groups. I too find an occasional competitive group projects REALLY gets everyone involved. And the strong help the confused. I have a gameboard with dice (numbers in a bag or hat work just as well) Snakes and ladders concept. Except there are no great falls. They must correct an incorrect sentence. The person behind them in the turn has the answer key. If correct, they go ahead two. If wrong they go back two. Riotously popular way to do grammar but can be applied to other topics (assuming they can read!) So sorry to hear you were sick! I remember those fun buckets well.
    Cesca

    ReplyDelete