Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What a Wonderful World

My English club has been busy the past few weeks writing a play for the English Theater competition in September.  They first wrote the play in Portuguese, coming up with a story line about domestic violence, following the assigned theme “The choice is mine.  The future is ours.” Then I translated their work to English. On Monday, we had our try-outs to assign roles for each member.  But, more about English Theater when it gets closer to the competition!  I don’t want to reveal too much now!

Meanwhile, this week I taught them the lyrics to “What a Wonderful World”.  They listened to the song several times, trying to listen for the words and fill in the blanks to the lyrics I had written for them.  I asked them if they liked the song.  Most music here falls in to the pop music category, mixed with some techno or club style background.  Louis Armstrong isn’t a very popular figure over here.  Most of them agreed that they did like the song, even more so after learning what he was saying.  They agreed, the world is pretty wonderful.

Following the song, I asked them each to write their own verse.  Here is what they came up with:

I see siblings hugging.  I see two children playing in the garden.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. – Eanes

I see people playing football.  I see children dancing.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. – Sadique

I see women winning rights.  I watch students studying.  People walking in the street.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. – Ibraimo

I see children going to school and their parents going to work in different areas.  I see Mozambicans travelling to anywhere in the world.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. -- Alberto

I see the older care for the son.  I also care for my friends.  I see people dancing and singing.  Others are listening.  I also dance to the music.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. -- Gaifane

I’m seeing people hugging daily.  I’m seeing people hugging everyday.  I see people saying Merry Christmas.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world. -- Calane

My students are also extremely excited for the library and have loved reading some of the English books I have already.  These past few weeks, we've made a lot of progress in the construction and are almost finished!

Last week, the builder finished cementing the inside walls and the floor.

Saide, the builder, standing proudly in front of his work.
Inside view, soon to be painted
 This week, the carpenter fixed the door that was too big to close while the welders made iron grates for both the door and window and cemented them in place.
Putting in the grates

We are still missing a window, but supposedly it’s finished and just needs to be installed.  I’m trying to put the pressure on to get that finished in the next couple of days.
Fancy stamp

We also got a fancy official stamp made.

I am supposed to be receiving the set of 200 Portuguese books in early August and my mom has been doing an incredible job collecting donations of English books from friends and family.  Thanks to everyone who has donated, especially Josh and Maggie, and Patty, Reed, and Jack Dunnick.  Also, to Girl Scout Troop 166, Darien Book Aid, and Ms. Wile’s students at Wallingford Elementary School.  

So far, I have received over 75 English books, with a lot more en route in the mail.  All donations are welcomed and greatly appreciated!  Thank you again to everyone for your support!  Can't wait until I can show you all the finished product!


1 comment:

  1. I love their additions to the song - what a great ESL assignment! Can you let us know to what address books should go? I have old ESL books and some miscellaneous would those help. You can email me at cesca.hampton@gmail.com for faster responses.

    ReplyDelete