Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A (Thankfully) Not-so-normal Morning

While enjoying a cool, drizzly morning, I heard a scream from the bathroom and Adrienne came racing out.  “I just got attacked by a huge rat!” she explained.  Apparently, while doing her business, she had heard a loud bang as something hit the roof and then a fat rat came rushing through the doorway, straight towards her!  

After doing my morning workout, it was time to shower, and I hesitantly brought in my capulana towel and shower stuff, investigating if the bathroom was safe and rodent free.  First I saw its tail, thinking to myself, “That is definitely not a lizard.”  It was on top of the wall separating the latrine side and the shower side, it’s beady eyes watching me.  I raced out and found my trusty broom and proceeded to start hitting the roof, hoping to scare it out, to no avail.  My amazing roommate then came to my aid, bravely entering the bathroom and trying to poke the rat with the broom to frighten it away.  “Ok,” she said, “I think it went out and you’re safe.”

So I brought in my bucket of water and tried to take the fastest bucket bath ever, constantly looking around for our fat friend to return.  I grabbed my capulana off its hook to dry off, and there he was!  I screamed like I’ve never screamed before, jumping around in the small space as it leapt from the wall in my direction and ran around on the floor looking for a way out.  I ditched my sandals, half wrapped the capulana around myself, and fled for the exit, still screaming but also laughing.  (Keep in mind the space is only about 4ft by 4ft.)

Fortunately, our empregado (the boy who brings us water) was cleaning the front yard, so Adrienne called him to my aid.  He chuckled to himself as Adrienne explained the situation but quickly grabbed a stick and began whacking at the rat trying to kill it, chasing it around the yard.  He definitely got a couple good whacks in, but the rat escaped over the fence and was gone.


Quite the way to start the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment