Friday, June 1, 2012

An interesting question...


On my walk home from school a couple weeks ago, I met this Chinese man who works in the gold mine close to my town.  He seemed stunned to come across a white girl, asking me where I was from and what I was doing here.  He seemed even more surprised to learn that I was here by myself asking me, “Aren’t you afraid?”

Now this is a question I got a lot from family and friends before leaving for Peace Corps and frequently during those first few weeks at site from people in my community.  Still, over seven months later, I am not quite sure how to respond to this question.  Sometimes I still can’t believe I, a 23 year old girl just out of college, am living alone in Murrupula, Mozambique teaching in Portuguese.  Of course that’s scary! 

So yes sir, of course I’m afraid, at least sometimes.  But like anything else, like moving anywhere new, it takes time to adjust, to get comfortable in a new setting.  And yeah maybe this is a little more extreme than say moving to a new city or even a new state, but one day at a time, you really can get used to anything.  When there is no one else around, you figure it out and make do with what you have. 

Besides, I frequently think to myself, at least I have cell phone service…

No comments:

Post a Comment